Shoplifting Criminal Defense Attorney
Whether you have been charged with shoplifting, a theft crime
, forgery, or any other white-collar crime
, our Firm has the knowledge and experience to defend your case. With over 20 years’ experience in criminal litigation, Mr. Buckallew has handled a wide variety of white-collar crimes in most courts throughout the Valley, and he has the expertise to defend your rights and provide you with experienced legal representation in court. If you have been arrested and are facing shoplifting charges, it is critical to contact a Phoenix shoplifting attorney to discuss your case before making any decisions. Many shoplifting crimes are charged as felonies and having a felony conviction can result in many unintended consequences, including loss of gun rights, voting rights, and difficulty seeking meaningful employment, among others. The Law Offices of Trent R. Buckallew, PC provides you with a free initial consultation on all pending criminal cases to discuss legal options to resolve your case.
Multiple activities constitute shoplifting, including stealing goods from a store, removing or altering price tags so the item registers at a lower amount than its original price and attempting to conceal items in your purse or clothing. Penalties upon conviction of shoplifting vary depending on the value of the item(s) in controversy, and even the penalties for first time offenses can be onerous:
• Up to 6 months in jail for items valued at less than $1,000 – Class 1 Misdemeanor
• Up to 1 year in jail for items $1,000 or more but less than $2,000 – Class 6 Felony
• Up to 1 ½ years in jail for items that are worth at least $2,000 – Class 5 Felony
• 1 year in jail for shoplifting a firearm, regardless of its value – Class 6 Felony
• Up to 1 year in jail if a person, during the course of shoplifting, uses an artifice or device with intent to facilitate shoplifting, or if a person has been convicted within the past five years of two or more offenses involving shoplifting, theft, organized retail theft, burglary or robbery - Class 4 Felony
Penalties can be increasingly harsher for individuals who have prior shoplifting or other criminal convictions so it is important to discuss your options with a knowledgeable and experienced shoplifting attorney before making any decisions in your case.
Phoenix Shoplifting Lawyer
If you have been arrested for shoplifting, it is recommended that you consult with an attorney prior to answering any questions or issuing any statements regarding your case to law enforcement, if possible. If charges are ultimately filed, your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation of the case, interview witnesses and identify any possible legal or procedural weaknesses in your case. Any deficiencies identified in the case can be used to undermine the State's case and negotiations can lead to a more favorable resolution in your case. Shoplifting charges can result in very serious consequences, and it is advised that you contact the Firm to discuss your options for case resolution.